ArtPlay, ASC's Education & Outreach Program
Growing a Love of the Arts
Thanks to Jane Stephens Comer's generous donation to UAB's Alys Stephens Center, a brand new arts education initiative called ArtPlay has opened its doors. This beautiful Victorian house, located in the heart of Southside only blocks away from the Alys Stephens Center, is home to ASC's expanded education and outreach program.
The ASC's Arts Education & Outeach program is at the root of our mission to make the performing arts accessible to the broadest possible audience and cultivate an understanding of and appreciation for the arts. We are committed to providing meaningful interaction with renowned artists and exciting opportunities for artistic growth and development for students, parents, and teachers.
The ArtPlay house has been renovated to provide quality art programming for every generation of aspiring artist, a community venue with an array of programming for creative learning, and a beautiful setting for special events. Arts classes are available for all ages in dance, music, visual arts, film, and theatre from local arts organizations and individual teachers. To learn more about ArtPlay or to register for future classes, visit the ArtPlay website.
ArtPlay, the education and outreach initiative of UAB's Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center, endeavors to educate, inspire, and nurture creative growth and self-expression in people of all ages by providing innovative arts education programming in a collaborative and holistic environment.
- In the creative potential of every human being regardless of age or social background.
- That everyone benefits from being actively engaged and inspired by the arts and having an opportunity to express themselves creatively on the most basic level.
- That an arts learning center should serve as a classroom, laboratory, greenhouse, incubator, and town hall for the entire community.
- Involvement in creative endeavors encourages self-awareness, teaches discipline, and encourages communication between people of all backgrounds.
- The arts are an essential component of the learning and development process in building a comprehensive educational foundation.
Did You Know
Since the inception of the Arts Education & Outreach program in 2002, over 50,000 students have participated in these programs that provide a basis for learning, growing, connecting with other cultures, and exchanging ideas. As part of that outreach, the ASC produces original theatrical productions each season. School kids attend "Meet the Artist" shows for free. Your support allows us to provide buses free-of-charge too.
- $20 pays for one student on the Martin Hames Arts Mentoring Program to see a performance.
- $100 pays for one school bus of students to see a Meet the Artist series performance.
- $325 pays for one ASC Drama Camp tuition scholarship.
- $1,000 pays for a 6-week Poet's Corner residency.
For more information about the ASC's Arts Education & Outreach program, call (205) 934-6012.
- Jane Stephens Comer
- DST Health Solutions
- The Mike and Gillian Goodrich Foundation
- ASC Junior Patron Education Fund
- Patty McDonald
- Sterne Agee
- Wells Fargo
The Rhythm of Gospel Awards is an annual event filled with a variety of innovative and exciting showcases, competitions, exhibits and achievement galas, bringing in over 6,500 excited, tourists, church, social and civic groups, families and business professionals throughout the US.